The Next Step

Our refugee families are fairly well settled into their new homes, and have even found connections in their communities, and that marks a turning point. I felt like I knew what was expected of me when I had a list of tasks to accomplish for them during the first few weeks. But now its time to start taking the first steps towards independence. Dropping by to check on them is occasionally frustrating as it's still hard to communicate and they're not always there (but I'm glad they're getting out and about). Sometimes it feels like they expect you to bring whatever items they've asked for and its time to start helping them understand if they want something new they need to budget for it and go out and buy it...not simple to explain or to do right now. It's also time to start learning how to get to appointments without volunteers playing taxi.

I'm very impressed with how fast some of them are picking up English, and hopefully they'll start formal classes to keep that momentum going. You can really see the survivor spirit coming through, a real desire to adapt and do well in their new home. I can see that this experience is going to continually surprise and challenge me as we enter each new phase, but so far I'm seeing the families become more relaxed, smile more, and their confidence growing which is just what I hope for them.

No comments: